Examining the $232,000 Oscars Gift Bags
If you get nominated for an Oscar but lose, the night is a waste, right? Wrong. All Oscar nominees get a notoriously lavish goodie bag each year. From an all expense paid trip in Israel to TVs and a three night stay in Italy, the losers in the Oscars are still better off than (you and) me.
However, Distinctive Assets, the marketing company which makes these bags – and is not affiliated with the Academy – is actually being sued for “trademark infringement and misleading the public about its relationship with the Oscars.” Part of the reason the Academy probably wants to be separated from these bags is due to what is actually in them. This year, the goodie bag is worth more than $232,000, including a $250 Haze Dual Vaporizer, over $5,000 in plastic surgery, and sex toys. No surprise that the Academy, already dealing with the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, wants to avoid the attention of the “less-than-wholesome nature of some of the products contained in the bags.”
Other gifts in these out-of-this world gift bags include:
- A lifetime supply of Pu-erh Tea Nourishing Cream and Pu-erh Tea Cleansing Bar ($31,200)
- A year’s worth of Audi car rentals from Silvercar ($45,000)
- 10-day all-expenses-paid trip to Israel ($55,000)
- Private 15-day walking tour of Japan ($54,000)
- 3-day stay at the Golden Door Resort & Spa in San Marcos, CA ($4,800)
- 3-night stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento, Italy ($5,000)
- 3-night stay at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo in Lake Como, Italy ($5,000)
For more info on what else is included in these lavish bags, read the article on Bazaar.