Today marks the 19th anniversary of the death of Christopher Wallace aka The Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls aka the greatest rapper to ever touch a microphone who was tragically shot and killed March 9, 1997, when he left a party at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. He was 24. His killer has still not been identified, and that is a talk for a whole other time (cough, cough Suge Knight).
International Business Times has put together a lot of some of the 18 greatest Biggie lyrics, even though I could really fill pages upon pages of his lyrics. So besides seeing these lines below, do yourselves a favor a bump some Biggie ALL DAY long so you can appreciate the greatness and one-of-a-kind flow of Christopher Wallace.
1.“Excellence is my presence. Never tense, never hesitant.”
2. “Biggie Smalls is the illest. Your style is played out, like Arnold wondered, ‘What you talkin’ bout Willis?’”
3. “It was all a dream. I used to read Word Up magazine. Salt-N-Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine. Hangin’ pictures on my wall. Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl, I let my tape rock till my tape popped.”
4. “We can’t change the world unless we change ourselves.”
5. “If you don’t know, now you now.”
6. “I’m living every day like a hustle. Another drug to juggle, another day another struggle.”
7. “While we out here, say the hustlas’ prayer. If the game shakes me or breaks me, I hope it makes me a better man.”
8. “Yes it’s me, the B.I.G / Competition ripper ever since 13 / Used to steal clothes was considered a thief / Until I started hustlin’ on Fulton Street / Makin’ loot, knockin’ boots on the regular / Pass the microphone; I’m the perfect competitor.”
9. “If you don’t love yourself, I’ll make you see your own heart.”
10. “I never wish death on nobody, cause there ain’t coming back from that.”
11. “Poppa been smooth since days of Underoos / Never lose, never choose to, bruise crews who / Do something to us, talk go through us / Girls walk to us, wanna do us, screw us / Who us? Yeah, Poppa and Puff”
12. “Take a better stand. Put money in my mom’s hand. Get my daughter this college plan, so she don’t need no man.”
13. “Catch me if you can like the gingerbread man.”
14. “Forgive me for my disrespect; forgive me for my lies.”
15. “I’m seeing body after body and our Mayor Giuliani / Ain’t tryna see no black man turn to John Gotti / My daughter use a potty, so she’s older now / Educated street knowledge, I’ma mold her now”
16. “If Faith had twins, she’d probably have two Pacs, Get it, Tupac’s?”
17. “And everything you get, ya gotta work hard for it.”
18. “We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us / No heat, wonder why Christmas missed us / Birthdays was the worst days / Now we sip champagne when we thirsty.”
Here is a recently finished mural in Brooklyn of the late, great rapper:
As Canibus said – “The greatest rapper ever died on March 9th”.
We miss you, BIG. R.I.P.